Sunday, November 9, 2014

Blog Assignment #11

1. Who are your Senators and your Congressman?
A) In my district, the senators are Lamar Alexander and Bob Corker. The Congressman in my district is a congresswoman named Diane Black. Alexander has been incumbent since 2003 and Corker has been incumbent since 2007. Black is a more recent addition, having first been elected back in 2011.

2. Research the areas they champion and find one you support.  What is it and why do you also support it?
A) One issue Lamar champions that I agree with is his view on how ISIS should be dealt with. He isn't against using military force against the terrorist group, but he wants the President to come up with a clear set plan for which he can then present to the legislators to collaborate on. He believes that we can only be united as a nation on this issue if the branches of government work together.

3. Find an issue one of your Senators or Congressman champions that you disagree with.  Why do you disagree?
A) One issue I wasn't completely against but slightly disagreed with was Corker's decision to pass a bill called Energy Improvement and Extension Act of 2008. The idea being that people driving more environmentally friendly vehicles (specially electronic ones) would receive tax credit within a specific time-frame based on the energy they used electronically instead of through fuel. While the idea isn't a horrible idea, I think the reason I'm wary of it is the fact that it gives a select handful of people a tax credit for being able to buy a $50,000+ car that runs on electricity. That's great if you can afford such a car, but for the average populace that's sadly not an option. I'm all for saving the environment and cutting back on gas usage, but this tax credit would only be used for specific cases, and they budgeted that this bill would cost 150.5 billion dollars in ten years. Maybe ten years from now, I will be able to buy an expensive electric car, but as of now, this bill is completely useless to me.

Blogs I Commented On: Katelyn Dozier, Donna Fox, and Matthew Cooper

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/28/cb/7f/28cb7f269f8d99b1bbfcea5658d9cd25.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog post. I whole-heartedly agree is the vote against Energy Improvement and Extension Act of 2008. It’s completely ridiculous that those who are able to afford an all-electric vehicle (which can be very expensive) would be eligible for a tax credit. It’s known that currently such a vehicle is out of many of the populaces range of budgetary responsibility and therefore wouldn’t be able to take advantage of such tax credits. I too am like you and maybe in the future when they become more affordable, I would be able to purchase such a vehicle, but not for now.

    ReplyDelete