Sunday, November 2, 2014

Blog Assignment #10

1. Read Bush v. Gore in the text.  Do you agree with the majority or the dissenting opinion?  Why?
A) I agree with the majority opinion, but I understand the dissenting opinion. There were a lot of issues with this election and while they could have spent months recounting and re-looking at every aspect, it would've delayed the actual inauguration as well as could have proved pointless. It would have just been a lot of time and money spent on something that probably would have shown similar results. I can see why others would argue that we'll never know who actually won, but I think that there has to be a point where you stop and say, "I lost. That's it."
2. Is the ability to fundraise too important in elections?  In other words, are good candidates prevented from running because they cannot raise the needed funds?  Can/should something be done to correct this if it is a problem?
A) I do think it goes overboard sometimes. Sometimes I think that money involved helps to ween out some of the unprofessional candidates (candidates with pointless and odd campaign goals), but I do think it also limits some of the small town heroes we could gain in the political system. Everything is too money based nowadays. You want a job, pay to go to school for it, you want to write a book, pay your own money to self-publish it, you want to get elected, you need money to get everyone's eye. And while, I do think that it is a matter of how much effort you put into it, I think that if we could have more avenues to display all the candidates at the same time, such as a multi-candidate debate, then we could get some of these people with less connections in the limelight too. This isn't a popularity contest, it's the election of our world leaders.
3. Why is there such voter apathy - in other words, why is there often such low voter turnout for elections?  Is there a way to rectify this problem?
A) I think a lot of it has to do with self-identity and the disbelief that this person's vote matters. People who refuse to vote often to seem to think they have no chance of influencing the vote. I think if people would seek out stories of candidates overcoming party-dominant states or other odds, maybe people would see that even underdogs win and that their votes really do matter. Also if the subject matters enough to them, I think they'd vote. So I think voters have to personalize the voting to themselves to grow the desire to vote.

Blogs I Commented On: Donna Fox, Katelyn Dozier, and Matthew Cooper

Campaign Slogans...
http://rs1img.memecdn.com/vote-or-die_o_602734.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I like the way that you worded your opinion about fundraising. I think the money issue gets in the way of small town heroes and prevents them from being able to run for office. I also agree that it isnt a popularity contest but it is an election of our leaders and it should be based on who is going to do the best for the people.

    ReplyDelete