Sunday, October 19, 2014

Blog Assignment #8

1. From figure 8.1 in the text, select one of the interest groups and do some research on their issues and beliefs.  What did you learn?  What did you find interesting?  Do you agree/disagree with their positions on issues? Why?
A) I looked into the National Education Association and learned their primary goal in the promotion of increased student productivity and opportunities in public schools across the country. One thing that I found that was interesting was a policy briefing issued directly from the NEA discussing statistically findings of bullying in schools as well as recommendations for educators on how to actually handle bullying if they encounter it. It was enlightening to see their efforts outside of just the budget concerns and actual education standards for grading and district standings. I do agree with their positions on the issues of the public school system because coming from a public school in a state (CA) that spent almost half of its budget alone on education yet has placed 48th in educational rankings continuously, I have seen first hands the issues with traditional public schools and why I don't recommend them to parents and friends when asked.

2. Find an interest group with which you associate (positively).  What is the name of the group and what do you find persuasive about their position on issues?
A) I find the work that the interest group, The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, does important and positive. They're main goal is to take animals out of abusive environments, treat them, and find them forever homes. They are very persuasive because they are well-known for commercials showing neglected animals to sad music in an attempt appeal to people into donating to their cause. Furthermore, I am personally persuaded because I know that there are millions of animals that are treated cruelly, and I feel like I am actually helping when I involve myself in their efforts. Furthermore, they have monthly donation plans that cost about 60 cents a day. I feel like I have far less important things that I can give up the money from to go towards a cause like that.

3. Do interest groups have enough/too much/the right amount of power in the political system?  Most believe it's a fine-line balance between freedom of speech for the groups and keeping unfair persuasion out of government.  Where is that line and when is it crossed?
A) I think it depends on the interest group. Economic ones and more political ones that have to do with legislation or depend on government funding may have a tendency to have too much power in the political system. When they have a name that can make the public sway one way or another, that's when I worry about the scale of power. One incident that comes to mind is when Susan G Komen took away funding to Planned Parenthood when investigations proved that the funds they were donating to the group weren't being spent on mammogram exams but on other clinical uses. Planned Parenthood then turned it around and used its name to call Susan G Komen hypocritical and against women's health because of the pulled funding. This caused pressure from the public against the Breast Cancer group.

Blogs I Commented On: Katelyn Dozier, Donna Fox, and Matthew Cooper

Government and Interest Group Backing
http://progressivecynic.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/a-senator-not-a-nascar-driver1.png

No comments:

Post a Comment