Is American news media too dependent upon polls? Is it appropriate for news agencies to create polls and then report on them? Why or why not?
A) I think it is too dependent on the polls without additional data and research because they report on the general polls but many of these polls aren't comprehensive enough to really identify patterns and ideologies the of the people taking the polls. You could ask a question as simple as if the general public think Obama is doing a good job, and then make the answer choices too general, so it appears one way or another without explaining why. I think if the news wants to report on polls created by them, it has to be more detailed polls to give accurate answers.
2. How important is political party identification to you (e.g. as a Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, etc.)? Was it more or less important to your parents & grandparents? Does it seem more or less important to your friends? Why or why not?
A) It isn't as important to me because there are things that one party or the other does on a case-to-case basis that I don't agree with. I think it was even less important to the previous generations because I think they really believed in the quality of the political officers, not their party. It's more important to many of my friends because they sometimes follow just what the media says about one party or the other and make an opinion based on that. If the media portrays one party as good this way or bad that way, many of my old friends based their opinions on that rather than the individual leaders in those parties.
3. Do you feel that you opinion of politics is more influenced by economic issues or by social issues? Why?
A) Mine is more based around social issues because the economy will fluctuate back and forth, or maybe even crumble completely, but the humanity of people matters to me more. The morals of right and wrong are integrated back since the beginning of humanity and if my government wants to destroy what is right, I will fight it. I can't control where my paycheck comes from or if I will be able to afford milk tomorrow based on economic factors, but I can say if I think it's wrong for a person to take away another person's civil rights.
Commented on Student's Blogs: Matthew Cooper, Nikki Stair, and Taylor Wilson
Unreliable Polls
http://piazzablog.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/polls.jpg
No comments:
Post a Comment